The 21st Century Pharisees and Sadducees
“Christian” …Every time I hear that word, I cringe. (Seriously… I actually shuttered as I typed it just now!). Anyway… I hate that word. A lot of Christians celebrate the word. Early believers preferred to be called “brethren,” “disciples,” or occasionally as “followers of the Way.” They did not like the term Christian. There are several reasons for this, but the one that is the most supported by tradition, rumor, and most important – empirical evidence – finds that their disdain for the term was partly due to the fact that the GREEK term was a derogatory word that non-believers used to make fun of and attack these “Christians” with. You see in those days, the Greeks and Romans understood little or nothing about the importance to the Jews of the word anointed; to them it did not convey any sacred conception. Hence they substituted Chrestus, or “excellent”, for Christus or “anointed.” This gave birth to their derogatory Chrestians as opposed to the non-derogatory Christians. Manuscript, textual evidence seems to show that the three times the term was used in Scripture was pointing out that derogatory word Chrestians as opposed to the non-derogatory Christians. In addition to this, three times doesn’t seem like a lot to mention a word that is used by the people who the word is attached to, and who praise and take pride in the word. In addition to this, there is actual manuscript evidence that the original texts were altered.
“Equally interesting is the fact that in all three cases, the right vertical stroke and the horizontal stroke of the ETA have been erased to produce an IOTA (yielding the traditional spelling). This is very unusual. Sinaiticus was corrected many times, and each generation of correctors had their own discernible “tics”. But simple erasure without further comment seems to be unprecedented. Moreover, the empty space left by the erasure is, in all three cases, not filled up. This shows that without any question the scribe of Sinaiticus deliberately meant to write “Chrestian” in all three instances; it was not a mistake. The plot thickens when we consider that two of the earliest secular references to Christianity, Tacitus, Annales 15.4, where Tacitus talks about the Christians being persecuted by Nero as “Chrestians”, and Suetonius, Claudius 25, referring to Claudius’ expulsion of the Jews mentions a certain “Chrestus” as responsible, we find precisely the spellings one would predict if these authors (or their sources) were deriving their information from the same tradition which the spelling of Sinaiticus suggests” (Robert Dean Luginbill, Ph.D.).
Luginbill, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages at the University of Louisville. And if you don’t know what Sinaiticus is, it is the Codex Sinaiticus, which is one of the best Greek texts of the New Testament. It is also one of the four great uncial codices.
You see, as much as “Christians” HATE to admit it, biblical texts HAVE indeed been altered.
So when did the term Christian become praised by the people attached to the word instead of hated? Doesn’t really matter, because that’s not why I hate the term!
I hate the term because of the majority of people who lay claims to the term. The vast majority of “Christians” are the most vile, despicable, hypocritical people whom I have ever had the shame of running across. Since the term Christian is SUPPOSED to mean “follower of Christ” or “little Christ,” shouldn’t they act at least somewhat slightly like whom they are supposedly following? They LOUDLY claim they model their lives after Jesus of Nazareth. But do they? lol… I can hear their arguments right now… “We do model after Christ, but becoming like him is a journey, no one becomes instantly perfect!” Ok, but then when someone points out your bullshit to you, and shows you where and how you a wrong… shouldn’t you go “oh man, you’re right… Jesus wouldn’t like this” not “No, that’s not really what the bible means right there!” or “well, that’s not how my church sees it” It doesn’t matter how your church sees it… if you claim that your “truth” is 100% correct, unchanging, and unshakable, then there can only be ONE correct way to view it right? If not, then there are multiple ways of looking at it, and you should allow room for compromise… but you can’t really have it both ways! It can’t be a pick and choose kind of thing… hell you’re staking your afterlife on it right?!?!?
Supposedly Mahatma Gandhi made the statement “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians… They are nothing like your Christ.” Chances are that Gandhi himself did not say this, as there is no actual record of it, however… it doesn’t make the statement any less true. Christians really are NOTHING like Jesus of Nazareth. NOR do they give any ACTUAL effort to try to be!
CONTROL is what Christians want… They want to control you, their leaders want to control their “sheep.” It’s funny that “Christians” constantly refer to their congregations as “sheep.” hahaha… the dumbest animal known to man… one’s that will follow each other over a cliff to their own demise.
Christian leaders get EXTREMELY wary of ANYONE that is the slightest bit off from what the demand from their people. They become VERY threatened if you don’t completely bow down to everything they say. Sound familiar? Yup! The Pharisees and Sadducees acted the EXACT same way! When it comes to Christians, don’t even THINK about doing anything that is against their “list” of requirements… “oh but it’s not about keeping to a list, that would be works based!” OK, well I personally have recently been told that I went against one of the items on a pastor’s list of characteristics he expects his people to follow. Um… kinda sounds like a list to me. I asked where this “list” was that way I could review it, otherwise how could I know what I’m adhering to… That was met with a fiery pair of eyes, and a dismissive “it’s not about the list.” You see, Christians also absolutely refuse to admit any possible chance that they might could possibly be wrong or mistaken when it comes to their PERSONAL views of the bible. And when you point out the contradictions or hypocrisies in their own words that they say, they quickly become dismissive and change the subject. Then you become nothing but an arrogant trouble maker, you now have an attitude problem because you are not submissive, you are now an outcast, you are now met with an ultimatum. Why? Because you’ve now threatened their power of control! Even when you show them that their authoritative text proves them wrong, they are still right, and they quickly change the subject! You see, THEY and THEY ALONE are privy to absolute truth!!! Even though, of course a lot of their “truth” contradicts itself, and they act completely contradictory to their truth. But if you don’t fit into their “mold” they throw a shit fit! When you tell them, it doesn’t make sense, they get flustered and demand “well that’s just fact” or, “It’s Truth, and you can’t argue with truth.”
…ooookkkaaayyy mother fucker…
First off, when your “truth” changes over the years based on the culture changes of the time… That’s not truth, that’s opinion or belief that is using religion to gain power and control for submission to your opinions! When your God says things like “render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s” and “submit to the law of the land,” but you vehemently go against this, that’s not truth… that’s political ideology that is using religion to gain power for your ideology! And then when this political ideology changes over the years, and again, these changes occur with cultural changes… that’s not truth… it’s opinion.
For Example: America was by no means founded as a “Christian” Nation, by “Christian” individuals. (http://boggsism.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/america-the-christian-nation/). America definitely lined out a separation of Church and State so that a church would never be able to run, take over, or massively influence the government. So when “Christians” use the “Christian” Nation argument to use as a defense for their trying to basically over-throw and take over their government, they are first of all liars, and second of all, they are directly disobeying the “law of the land” and are not “rendering unto America that which is America’s.”
When people are specifically told not to pray in front of everyone at graduation, and they defy that rule by praying anyway and literally stating “I don’t care.” You “Christians” are now saying that you don’t care about the LAW, and you don’t care about what the authority over you says. You are going to simply do what you want anyway. Well that’s real Christ-like now isn’t it? Especially when Jesus himself states
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Yeah… rebelling against the rule-makers that way you can pray in front of hundreds of people… yeah, that makes you more like Jesus Christ.
Ah, and now we come to one of my FAVORITE topics about Christianity and their conservative political stances!!!
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
“Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
“They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.”
MODERN CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE POLITICAL STANCE:
(What I deliver now are the majority of what I hear… not my opinion on where they stand. THIS accurately reflects the views of the conservative Christians that I speak with about these issues)
- “The poor are poor because they are lazy, I have no sympathy for them, I’m not giving them any handouts, they need to get off their lazy butts and go support themselves! Why should I help them?”
- “If you’re poor, it’s your own fault. Get yourself out of poverty; I’m not giving you a dime.”
- “There should be no limit to the amount of wealth that one is able to attain! They worked hard for it, so they should give LESS of a percent to their government that allowed them to earn it!”
- “They worked hard for their money, they should be allowed to stock-pile as much as they want to!”
Hmmm… I see a couple of inherent problems here… umm… do you?
Basically I’ve gone through this whole diatribe to say… If you claim to be a Christian, more than likely you should read your bible… because the majority of “Christians” values, ideas, stances, beliefs, etc, etc… are the complete OPPOSITE of what Jesus preached! They are the exact opposite of what the bible says, and Christians are actually the exact OPPOSITE of what the word is supposed to mean, and are actually closer to the Greek meaning of the word – “The goody-goodys!”
If you felt yourself becoming angered by what I’ve written here, but don’t know why, it’s probably because you are a VICTIM of the Christian Pharisees and Sadducees’ control Techniques! They control you by not allowing you to even so much as question the Christian status-quo! But we shouldn’t be afraid to challenge the religious status-quo! Jesus challenged the religious status-quo all the time!!! And if you are trying to become more like Jesus, shouldn’t you be unafraid to speak up for what you KNOW is right? I am by NO means saying pick fights just for the hell of it, but don’t be afraid to challenge the religious status-quo. They call you a heretic if you question even an incredibly unimportant area of their belief. Don’t ask questions, don’t take issue with anything I say! This is fact, no matter what you say! heh… Remember how Jesus regularly reacted to the Pharisees and Sadducees? He got pissed and flipped out on them!
Here’s how I imagine Jesus reacting to today’s Pharisees and Sadducees – Those who call themselves Christians… I figured he might take a little more offense to them since they are using his title in vain
…and they my friends, are what is wrong with our world!
I leave you with this: some of my favorite quotes from four of America’s Founding Fathers:
Benjamin Franklin -
- “How many observe Christ’s birthday! How few, his precepts! O! ’tis easier to keep holidays than commandments.”
- “Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.”
- “I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.” - “The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.”
- “If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another.”
- “It is pity that good works, among some sorts of people, are so little valued, and good words admired in their stead. I mean seemingly pious discourses, instead of humane, benevolent actions. These they almost put out of countenance by calling morality, rotten morality; righteousness, ragged righteousness, and even filthy rags, and when you mention virtue, pucker up their noses; at the same time that they eagerly snuff up an empty, canting harangue, as if it were a posy of the choicest flowers”
Thomas Jefferson -
- “Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.”
- “Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting “Jesus Christ,” so that it would read “A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;” the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.”
- “They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion.”
- “Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”
- “In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty.”
- “Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”
- “Priests…dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.”
John Adams -
- “Indeed, Mr. Jefferson, what could be invented to debase the ancient Christianism which Greeks, Romans, Hebrews and Christian factions, above all the Catholics, have not fraudulently imposed upon the public?” (Yes, he was writing a letter to Thomas Jefferson)
- “The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning…. And, even since the Reformation, when or where has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate A FREE INQUIRY? The blackest billingsgate, the most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahooish brutality is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated, and applauded. But touch a solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will soon find you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your legs and hands, and fly into your face and eyes.”
- “God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there never will be any liberal science in the world.” (“this awful blashpemy” that he refers to is the myth of the Incarnation of Christ)
- “Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.”
Thomas Paine -
- “I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church”
- “What is it the Bible teaches us? — rapine, cruelty, and murder. What is it the Testament teaches us? — to believe that the Almighty committed debauchery with a woman engaged to be married, and the belief of this debauchery is called faith”
- “It is the fable of Jesus Christ, as told in the New Testament, and the wild and visionary doctrine raised thereon, against which I contend. The story, taking it as it is told, is blasphemously obscene”
- “No man ought to make a living by religion. It is dishonest so to do”
Sources and other interesting reads if you have time and an open mind: